TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF TRANSPORTATION
The transportation engineering training has been founded in 1951 in a barrack building in Szeged and it has been moved later to the Váráshelyi avenue. The leading authority of the institute was the Ministry of Post and Transportation. The new institute of Technical University of Transportation (KME) was meant to be a wide profile educational hub containing all studies of road and railway development, as well railway, water, road and air transportation and vehicle studies. The first step was to launch the courses dealing with railway building and operation. The courses were lead by 16 professors, of which 6 were traveling from Budapest to teach in Szeged. 11 professors were teaching full time, and many of them took part in teaching basic courses of the period, as politics, linguistics, military, and physical education.
MOVING TO SZOLNOK
In 1952 the university has been moved to Szolnok, where it was settled in the building of the county court. In 1953 the road and rail building courses were separated from the KME and integrated into the Faculty of Civil Engineering in Budapest (ÉME). During this period the vehicle operations programme and the railway telecommunication and safety critical systems within the railway operational programme was established in Szolnok.
MOVING TO BUDAPEST
Moving and integration of the KME to Budapest has been started at the beginning of 1956. After the integration of KME and ÉME a new educational unit was formed, called University of Civil Engineering and Transportation Engineering (ÉKME), with a Faculty of Transportation Engineering. The temporary residence of the faculty was in the central building (K), and in 1958 the faculty has been moved to the Calvinistic High School’s building in the Kinizsi street.
BUDAPEST UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
1967 was the year of the fusion of the Budapest University of Technology (BME) and ÉKME, where the name was chosen to be BME. The final form and image of the Faculty was reached, which serves the education of certified vehicle engineers and mechanical engineers. The educational and scientific organizational framework was based on the following Departments: Aero and thermodynamics, Logistics, Vehicle parts, Automotive technology, Vehicles, Transport automation, Transport technology, Transport economics, Mathematics, Mechanics and Railway vehicles. The “J” building was built in 1979 in the Stoczek street and later the Z building was also constructed in the Bertalan Lajos street 2. With these 2 additional buildings the Faculty joined also physically the BME campus.
During the 60’s both the technical engineering and the economics engineering courses were developed at a rapid pace. Postgraduate education was present in 15 technical engineer programmes and in 5 economics engineer programmes.
In 1978 most of the Faculty’s curriculums were modernized. The graduates of the transportation programme got a Transportation Engineering diploma awarded, and the students of mechanical engineering programmes finished with a Mechanical Engineering diploma. This curriculum was in action until 1991.
The Vehicle Engineering programme has been expanded with aeronautics engineering studies in 1985 and with the ship building engineering studies in 1988. The students of the vehicle engineering programme got an opportunity to study additional specialist subjects, thus being able to further expanding their knowledge in the area of vehicle manufacturing and reparation from 1985. Furthermore a college level naval engineering programme was available from 1976 until 1990.
The modular curriculum of the Faculty has been introduced in 1991, which was elaborated in a close working relationship with the Ministry of Transport, and incorporating the feedbacks of leading industrial partners in the field. 2 years after the introduction of this modular curriculum the university council accepted the credit based educational concept.
The Faculty of Transportation Engineering always considered it important to provide further education to the graduates, and therefore it has been organizing technical engineering and economic engineering studies since a long time. Besides the studies of traditional mechanical, urban transport, system and security, also other studies were presents, as technical diagnostics, operation, management and logistics. From 1995 BME started to lead work safety programmes.
An important milestone in the Facultie”s life was the founding of the full time PhD training in 1993. Based on this the accredited Transportation Science Doctoral School, and Vehicles and Mobile Engines Science Doctoral School were founded. These institutions provided the resupply of scientific researchers and professors within the university.
Since 2006 the 2-step engineer programme is running at our Faculty. First the Transportation Engineering BSc programme was introduced with 3 specialised studies. The 3 specializations were connected to the Faculty’s traditional educational profiles, namely to the areas of transportation processes, vehicle technology and logistics. In 2010 the Vehicle Engineering BSc programme was launched, and in 2012 the Logistics Engineering BSc programme. The MSc programmes of our faculty are the following: MSc in Vehicle Engineering, MSc in Logistics Engineering, MSc in Transportation Engineering.
In order to better position the profile of our Faculty, we changed our name in 2011 to Faculty of Transportation Engineering and Vehicle Engineering.